Like most people, the only time you’ve ever given any thought to gravel is when you needed to sweep it off your driveway. But what if we told you that gravel could be valuable for your home or business? It’s true! Gravel can be used in road building and maintenance, and the process is not as complicated as you might think!
In this post by Prime Asphalt LLC, we’ll explain how to build a gravel road, and we’ll also share some tips and tricks you need to know! So read this before hiring an asphalt contractor for your road building and maintenance.
How To Build A Gravel Road?
- Determine the width and length of your road. The width should be at least 6 feet, but it can be wider if you have the space. The length depends on how far you wish to go on the road!
- Mark the area where the road will be built. Using spray paint or stakes and string is a good idea to mark the boundaries.
- Grade the surface of the ground so that it’s leveled and smooth. This is important because the road will be uneven if the ground is uneven.
- Add a layer of gravel to the marked area, and spread it around with a rake until it’s evenly distributed. This layer should be about 4 inches thick.
- Use a compactor to compact the gravel. This will help to create a solid foundation for the road.
- Add another layer of gravel, and repeat steps 4 and 5. The second layer should be about 2 inches thick.
- Once you’ve added the second layer of gravel, you can start paving the road with asphalt. Start at one end and work your way to the other, using a tamper to compact the asphalt as you go.
- Finish up by adding lines or other markings to indicate which lane is for driving and which is for parking, if desired. Allow the asphalt to cure for 24 hours before driving on it.
Building a gravel road is a relatively simple task for an asphalt contractor with essential equipment and experience. With proper planning and some elbow grease, you can have a new road in no time! Looking for a reliable and experienced asphalt paving company in Waco, TX? Look no further than Prime Asphalt LLC. We offer top-quality asphalt paving services for both residential and commercial properties. We do it all, from asphalt paving services to road building and maintenance! Our professional team dedicates itself to completing your project on time and within budget. Plus, we offer a wide range of paving services to choose from, so you can find the perfect option for your needs. Request your estimate now!